NUTRITION NEWS you can USE:
With 2017 just around the corner, so many of us are looking to resolutions and changes for the new year. If diet is on your list of resolutions, we are here for some healthful tips/tricks and recipes.
So keep an eye out for your weekly/daily dose of Nutrition news coming all January long.
At FHW we believe in the non-diet diet. We understand to reach health and wellness goals a change in your current diet might be vital. But when deciding your changes, keep in mind the changes need to be sustainable if you want to sustain the change. (Meaning keep the weight off).
If you choose a "fad diet" or cleanse to follow that is un realistic to your everyday life- chances are you won't keep it up and won't keep the weight you starved yourself to lose off either. When deciding what kind of nutrition or diet to implement this month keep in mind a few things;
1. Is this healthy for my body, mind and wellbeing?
2. Is this something I can do forever?
3. Is this about losing weight or about improving my health? It can be about BOTH- but shouldn't be just the 1st one.
4. Can I have a well rounded diet with this diet? (Can you have a wide variety of healthful fruits, veggies, whole grains and proteins? Will you be starving your body of vital nutrients?)
5. I am going to be happy? (YES- your happiness is important for your health! Extremely! If you are constantly eating foods or lack of- that you hate or don't satisfy you on a taste level you will not be happy. )
6. Are these servings HEALTHY for someone with my age, gender and activity level? Everyone has something called a BASAL METABOLIC RATE. This is the rate your body burns calories when you do absolutely NOTHING. Just sitting and breathing your body is burning calories. This being said, if you are at all active you will need to increase that number significantly. You need to consume enough calories to maintain all the proper functions of your body. (ei- Digestion, Brain Function, Vision, and MORE)
Drastically cutting calories can lead to drastic weight loss but severe caloric restrictions are not sustainable and can also be dangerous to your health. Be realistic in your goals and over everything else improved NUTRITION should be the main goal. The healthy weight goal will be reached if you are putting the right things in your body and being active.
In most cases, with the right portion sizes, it isn't about the amount of calories- it is about the source of the calories. Do your best to avoid "Empty Calories" (these are calories with little to no nutrients or benefit to your body) typically processed foods, junk foods, refined grains and flours and sugars.
If you eat what your body needs, you will need less of it. Think of a time you have had the infamous thick crust pizza (probably white flour crust, little to no veggies, covered in grease and processed meats) how many times have you gone back for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th piece?) Don't worry we have all been there. But the reason you could keep eating, even when your brain is telling you you should be full, is because your body is searching for the nutrients. When your body can't find any nutrients it send messages to your brain to keep eating- looking for the nutrition.
How many times has this happened to you when you are eating a colorful salad? Right?
So when looking to start your 2017 Diet this year- keep these things in mind and think about coming to see us at Functional Health + Wellness for some Nutrition Therapy.
Wishing you a happy healthy New Year!
More Nutrition Tips/Tricks and Recipes coming all month long!
Functional Health + Wellness